The Jan Danckaert Society was established in 1973 and the Museum in 1979. The Museum was named after the leader of the first expedition that traveled through this area in 1660. The building was erected in 1879 and was initially used as a court. The exhibits focuses on the local history of the town and surrounding area and has an extensive collection of agricultural implements on display. The Museum also has some replicas of the San Rock Art as to direct visitors to some of the historical buildings in town.